- Writing Security: United States Foreign Policy and the Politics of Identity, (University of Minnesota Press, 1992, Rev. ed., 1998).
- Politics without Principle: Sovereignty, Ethics, and the Narratives of the Gulf War, (Lynne Rienner, 1993).
- National Deconstruction: Violence, Identity, and Justice in Bosnia, (University of Minnesota Press, 1998).
- The Political Subject of Violence, co-edited with Michael Dillon, (Manchester University Press, 1993).
- Moral Spaces: Rethinking Ethics and World Politics, co-edited with Michael J. Shapiro, (University of Minnesota Press, 1999).
- The New Pluralism: William Connolly and the Contemporary Global Condition, co-edited with Morton Schoolman, (Duke University Press, 2008).
- "Global Inscription: How Foreign Policy Constitutes the United States", Alternatives, vol. 15, no. 3, 1990.
- "The Deterritorialization of Responsibility: Levinas, Derrida, and Ethics after the End of Philosophy", Alternatives, vol. 19, no. 4, 1994.
- "Why Fight: Humanitarianism, Principles, and Post-Structuralism", Millennium, vol. 27, no. 3, 1998.
- "Apartheid Cartography: the Political Anthropology and Spatial Effects of International Diplomacy in Bosnia", Political Geography, vol. 18, no. 4, 1999.
- "International Engagements: the Politics of North American International Relations Theory", Political Theory, vol. 29, no. 3, 2001.
- "Cultural Governance and Pictorial Resistance: Reflections on the Imaging of War", Review of International Studies, vol. 29, no. 5, 2003.
- "Horrific Blindness: Images of Death in Contemporary Media", Journal for Cultural Research, vol. 8, no. 1, 2004.
- "Geopolitics and Visuality: Sighting the Darfur Conflict", Political Geography, vol. 26, no. 4, 2007.
- "Salgado and the Sahel: Documentary Photography and the Imaging of Famine", in Francois Debrix and Cynthia Weber eds., Rituals of Mediation: International Politics and Social Meaning, (University of Minnesota Press, 2003).